welcome to grade 9 art
This course is exploratory in nature, offering an overview of visual arts as a foundation for further study. Students will become familiar with the elements and principles of design and the expressive qualities of various materials by using a range of media, processes, techniques, and styles. Students will use the creative and critical analysis processes and will interpret art within a personal, contemporary, and historical context.
Wednesday, Sept. 3
due date for Design Cube Assignment = Tuesday, September 9th
Thursday, Sept. 4
- Design cube assignment - explain connection of elements and principles
- finish up their elements exercise (2 images cut from magazines for each) - if you don't get to write the definitions today you can finish tomorrow
- start planning your cube design
*if time profiles
Friday, Sept. 5
- work period - design cube - due date end of class: Tues, Sept. 9th
Mon, sept 8th
- work period - design cube
Tues, Sept 9th
- introduction to Sketchbook assignments & work period to finish design cube, or work on first sketchbook assignment
Wed, Sept 10th - one point perspective
- work on the 2 worksheets provided, put them in your sketchbook when done
- if finished both you can add details to the room drawing (more objects)
Thurs, Sept 11 - Contour Drawing Fun
Contour drawing, Blind contour & continuous contour
the video below shows how to make blind contour
Friday, Sept 12 - Drawing
This video is a continuous contour of the face
Activity: You are going to use the continuous contour method we learned yesterday to draw your partner. It is not a blind contour so you can look up and down as you draw their face.
Texture exercise for Sketchbooks
Monday, Sept 15
One point perspective is great if you happen to be looking directly at the front of something, but what if your subject is turned to the side? Then you need two point perspective.
In 2 point perspective there are 2 vanishing points on the horizon line. Every line except vertical lines will converge onto one of the two vanishing points.
Tuesday, Sept 16
VALUE is the lightness or darkness of tones or colors. White is the lightest value; black is the darkest. The value halfway between these extremes is called middle gray.
activity 1: A Tonal Bar
Thursday, Sept 18 & Friday, Sept 19
Begin Project: CONTOUR LINES ARE BEAUTIFUL
elements of design in focus: Line, texture, colour
- create enlarged composition of hands, shoes OR face using contour lines
Mon, Sept 22
- watercolour lesson - learn some cool watercolour techniques: soap bubbles, saran marks, rubbing alcohol spray, straw blown drips, crayon resist, & salt.
- do 2 colour tests on a small version of your composition to see which 3 colours will be featured in your piece. (can be any 3 colours) but only 3 to create a sense of unity as different things will be happening in each space.
** finish enlarging your drawings & time to work on SB assignments if finished all of the above.
Tues, Sept 23-25th
-work periods for Contour drawing watercolour assignment
Mon, Sept 29
- Sketchbook work period
Tues, Sept 30
What is art criticism? why do we need to know how to talk about art?
-how to critique example : DESCRIBE, ANALYZE, INTERPRET & JUDGE
- pairs critique and present your findings
Wed, Oct 1
Exquisite Corpse Lesson - in groups of 3
watch a how to video check out some examples
- draw in pencil. then the finished drawing (after 2 people have added to the middle and bottom sections) can be inked with marker by the first person who started the drawing. This creates unity between each of the sections. Also add some texture - lines, dots, fur, patterns, etc. Lastly, add colours!
- what is the profile for your creation:
NAME, AGE, HEIGHT, WEIGHT
Favourite food, who are its friends? where does it live? What is its favourite thing to do Favourite place to visit? How many creatures are in its family? Does it have a pet, what type of creature is the pet?
Finish Contour Line Project
Mon, Oct 6
collage Ex Corpses - groups of 3 - need 18-20 objects/ body parts/ plants, consider adding a background to one of the areas you will collage (find large pieces of pattern interesting landscape/ background)
- try different arrangements, don't go with the first one you try
Intro to Clay unit - what is sculpture?
Tues, Oct 7-10
- work on Clay assignment #1 - a coil pot
Tues, Oct 14
Intro Clay assignment #2 - Creature Cup or Creature Sculpture
- your choice, Bas Relief or Sculpture in the Round
Wed, Oct 15-17th
- work periods to finish sculpting creature cup, creature sculpture or Bas Relief panel
Mon, Oct 20th
- last work period for sculpting
- if finished begin brainstorming for Remembrance Day Posters in Sketchbooks
Mon, Oct 27th - 31st
- painting/ glazing clay pieces
- Sketchbook Development: Matisse Collages and Dictionary Page sketches
- Begin Art History Glogster poster
Mon, Nov 3- 6
- continue working on Art History Glogster poster
-working on remembrance day posters
Mon, Nov 10th
- finish up Art History Glogster Posters
Tues, Nov 11th
- Begin Painting unit - Colour wheel
WEd, Nov 12th
- computer lab - start a digital art portrait
Thurs Nov 13
- continue painting- colour wheel
- Tints and Shades
Friday Nov 14
- continue working on Digital Portrait
Monday, Nov 17th
- Finish working on Digital Portraits
Wed, Nov 19th
-Painting Unit: working on Tint's and Shades
Thurs Nov 20th-21st
- Painting techniques
Monday, Nov 24th
Begin- Monochromatic Project
- start with brainstorming - what ideas can you come up with for subject matter to paint?
-print and begin to draw - using the grid technique
December - Printmaking - Lino printing and stencil/ screen printing
January 5th - Start culminating tasks
AVI1O culminating task - 2 options (2d painting, drawing or mixed media art work OR clay sculpture)